Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Crystal Fruit in Cameron Highlands

>> Saturday, April 19, 2008



I went to Cameron Highlands today. Just came back and I cut up this "Crystal Fruit" that I bought earlier today. Cameron's fruits have all sort of weird names that is put to add some glamour to it, like Cameron apple(nothing like an apple), Love fruit(Tamarillo), and Mushroom beans(Cranberry beans), even the Cordyceps (dong chong chou) in Camerons is no real cordyceps, they just plainly look like white worms.


These "Crystal Fruits" were sold in Brinchang Night Market. Going for RM10 per pack. A lady gave me a small cut up piece to try... Hmmm.. very sweet and crunchy. Hubby felt the same too. So, I bought 2 packs. Not suspecting anything............... yet. When I looked at the base of the fruit, I saw some bright green colours, so I asked the lady whether this is a preserved fruit, as in additives added. She answered me "No, this is natural, this is the way it is."


When I arrived home, I cut one up, and to my suprise, it's a guava in disguise!!!
It's just a peeled guava tinted green!!!
Just look at the base of the fruit.... that part looks trimmed before and it is bright green.


It tastes so sweet that somehow it tastes so fake, as if they are soaked with saccharine. If they can be coloured, they can also be saccharine laden.
I'm not going to eat saccharine laden fruits. So, I'm going to throw the 2 packs that I bought into the dustbin.


The lady was such a liar! Or maybe I was just too naive to believe that there is this type of fruit.

5 comments:

Unknown May 15, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

oh no!i can't believe this could happen.Generally those people try to make a fruit look more appealing and uniform to the human eye to make money.Too bad!:(

Quinn December 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM  

Yeah, my mum got cheated once too. I think it's been out in the newspaper that this is a scam, not sure if you're aware of it. Looks like apple but taste like guava, is this some sort of genetically modified food????

WendyinKK January 11, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Sweetiepie: Yeah, they were bad :)

Quinn: No, it's really a guava, with its skin peeled and dyed green.

3 hungry tummies January 13, 2010 at 6:19 AM  

Oh that is my hometown, you havent been cheated, that is just how it is supposed to taste. Unfortunately it is not the most fitting name for the fruits

WendyinKK January 13, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

3 hungry tummies,

Sorry, but I think u've misunderstood the pics. There is another green fruit in Camerons that looked similiar, I know which one u're talking about, that they nickname Cameron apple, that is a real fruit, and I've eaten that before many times.

This one is really a peeled dyed guava. The sellers say lied saying it's a new fruit, but the few months back, i went back, this time they call it guava. Guess they got busted. Just as Quinn said, it's out in the newspaper, and she's not the first person telling me this after my incident.

Post a Comment