>> Friday, March 26, 2010
Few days back, my inlaws, Mike's brother, and us went to have dinner at this Phongmun Restaurant. It's just another daily dinner thing.
My mother in law knew that Mike and I love roasted duck, so she suggested this place. See the Cantonese Roast counter in the picture? I've never been here before and here goes my honest opinion.
This was what we ordered.
1. Char Siew (RM 10)
- Mike loved it. Not the sweet variety. I can taste the hoisin sauce in it.
2. Steamed 3 Yolks Egg (RM 8)
- Generously filled with century egg and salted egg. Custard was smooth. OK.
3. Stir Fried Sweet Potato Shoots with Garlic (RM 5)
- I like to note here that the garlic was smashed, therefore the release of flavour was good, the potato shoots remain very green until the end of the meal. Not too oily.
4. Szechuan Pork (RM 10)
- I don't see how szechuan is this. It's a very very mildly spicy, with pineapples. It was just OK.
5. Roasted Duck (half bird at RM 15)
- Skin was crispy. Strong smell of herbs. I like that. Mother in law said when she came here the other day, the duck wasn't crispy like tonight. So I guess it wasn't consistent.
6. Sweet and Sour Fish (RM 15)
- They used Dory!!!! Of all the fishes, why dory????? It's soft, way to soft. The gravy was bit sourish, and the chopped vege in the gravy was fine, not overcooked.
See the whole spread that night. For 5 adults, it's quite a lot.
Portion wise for each dish, they were fine. Not stingy and enough to go around. Price is competitive for Sungai Siput rates. Cheap compared to Kuala Kangsar and Ipoh.
Rice: BOTTOMLESS!!! For RM1 per pax. My kids weren't charged. It's a real bonus point for us to drive all the way here for dinner as Kuala Kangsar restaurants are real misers with rice. I know it's common to have bottomless rice in KL. Kuala Kangsar restaurants serve the smallest portions of rice that I have ever seen. Once in another restaurant I saw the waitress scooping a 80% full bowl of rice onto the plate, she spread the rice with the bowl and scraped some back into the rice container. I complained to the Lady Boss, but was replied, it is a full bowl of rice. Darn, I hate these rice misers. Rice is so cheap. Give me a kilo of it, I'll stuff it into her face.(Sorry for being so brutal, but I'm really pissed off by it)
One thing that I'd really want to say about this restaurant is the restrooms.
One has to be really careful when you walk through the main restroom door that you don't see a man half zipping up. The restroom is clean, and one can see that they really put in effort to get out of the norm of "dirty restaurant toilets". Thumbs up to them in this matter.
Malaysian restaurants are really sick in paying attention to where cleanliness is required.
Oh, and the restaurant I mentioned above that is a rice miser has toilets that can't even be locked cos the door is way too big!!!!
Service: The waiters and waitresses are deaf. Or maybe just half deaf. I requested for an empty bowl 3 times and I got fed up with it and took it myself. The lady boss asked me where am I walking to(while I was heading to the bowls and plates), and I asked her, where's the bowl I asked u for just now? She was surprised that the waiter she instructed to get me a bowl just didn't do it, 3 times!!!! Asking once is fine, twice is testing my patience, 3 times and being ignored is just too much. And it wasn't a busy night, just a few tables and the waiters were standing around, or walking leisurely. Definately I'm not being over with my demands as a customer.
What we paid that night:
RM 71.50. which included
Miscellanous: Nuts:RM1, Towel: RM1.50(30 sen each), Tea:RM3/pot.
No whatsoever tax or extra charges tho :)
Will I be back, maybe I will, maybe not. If it's just me and Mike dining, a definate No, but if the family requires of it, we will. Nothing really special to look forward to.
Clean, price is cheap. Food was ok.
Bad waiting service
99 & 99-1, Persiaran Komersial 1,
31100 Sungai Siput (U) Perak
Telephone : 05-5972363
012-4519480 (Peter Wong)
Email : Peterwpw168@hotmail.com
The restaurant's just right after TF Valuemart on your left if you're coming from Sungai Siput Town.