Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Phongmun Restaurant, Sungai Siput (U)

>> Friday, March 26, 2010


Few days back, my inlaws, Mike's brother, and us went to have dinner at this Phongmun Restaurant. It's just another daily dinner thing.

My mother in law knew that Mike and I love roasted duck, so she suggested this place. See the Cantonese Roast counter in the picture? I've never been here before and here goes my honest opinion.

This was what we ordered.



1. Char Siew (RM 10)
- Mike loved it. Not the sweet variety. I can taste the hoisin sauce in it.

2. Steamed 3 Yolks Egg (RM 8)
- Generously filled with century egg and salted egg. Custard was smooth. OK.

3. Stir Fried Sweet Potato Shoots with Garlic (RM 5)
- I like to note here that the garlic was smashed, therefore the release of flavour was good, the potato shoots remain very green until the end of the meal. Not too oily.

4. Szechuan Pork (RM 10)
- I don't see how szechuan is this. It's a very very mildly spicy, with pineapples. It was just OK.

5. Roasted Duck (half bird at RM 15)
- Skin was crispy. Strong smell of herbs. I like that. Mother in law said when she came here the other day, the duck wasn't crispy like tonight. So I guess it wasn't consistent.

6. Sweet and Sour Fish (RM 15)
- They used Dory!!!! Of all the fishes, why dory????? It's soft, way to soft. The gravy was bit sourish, and the chopped vege in the gravy was fine, not overcooked.


See the whole spread that night. For 5 adults, it's quite a lot.
Portion wise for each dish, they were fine. Not stingy and enough to go around. Price is competitive for Sungai Siput rates. Cheap compared to Kuala Kangsar and Ipoh.
Rice: BOTTOMLESS!!! For RM1 per pax. My kids weren't charged. It's a real bonus point for us to drive all the way here for dinner as Kuala Kangsar restaurants are real misers with rice. I know it's common to have bottomless rice in KL. Kuala Kangsar restaurants serve the smallest portions of rice that I have ever seen. Once in another restaurant I saw the waitress scooping a 80% full bowl of rice onto the plate, she spread the rice with the bowl and scraped some back into the rice container. I complained to the Lady Boss, but was replied, it is a full bowl of rice. Darn, I hate these rice misers. Rice is so cheap. Give me a kilo of it, I'll stuff it into her face.(Sorry for being so brutal, but I'm really pissed off by it)

One thing that I'd really want to say about this restaurant is the restrooms.
They're unisex.

One has to be really careful when you walk through the main restroom door that you don't see a man half zipping up. The restroom is clean, and one can see that they really put in effort to get out of the norm of "dirty restaurant toilets". Thumbs up to them in this matter.
Malaysian restaurants are really sick in paying attention to where cleanliness is required.
Oh, and the restaurant I mentioned above that is a rice miser has toilets that can't even be locked cos the door is way too big!!!!

Service: The waiters and waitresses are deaf. Or maybe just half deaf. I requested for an empty bowl 3 times and I got fed up with it and took it myself. The lady boss asked me where am I walking to(while I was heading to the bowls and plates), and I asked her, where's the bowl I asked u for just now? She was surprised that the waiter she instructed to get me a bowl just didn't do it, 3 times!!!! Asking once is fine, twice is testing my patience, 3 times and being ignored is just too much. And it wasn't a busy night, just a few tables and the waiters were standing around, or walking leisurely. Definately I'm not being over with my demands as a customer.

What we paid that night:
RM 71.50. which included
Miscellanous: Nuts:RM1, Towel: RM1.50(30 sen each), Tea:RM3/pot.
No whatsoever tax or extra charges tho :)

Will I be back, maybe I will, maybe not. If it's just me and Mike dining, a definate No, but if the family requires of it, we will. Nothing really special to look forward to.

Rating: 7/10
Clean, price is cheap. Food was ok.
Bad waiting service



Phongmun Restaurant
Komersial Waterfront
99 & 99-1, Persiaran Komersial 1,
31100 Sungai Siput (U) Perak
Telephone : 05-5972363
012-4519480 (Peter Wong)

The restaurant's just right after TF Valuemart on your left if you're coming from Sungai Siput Town.

19 comments:

Alice Law March 31, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

Ohh... the spread of foods look interesting, but since the service is nasty... I don't think I would pay a visit though!

Greeting from K.L, wishing a nice day ahead!

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears April 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

wa...that was cheap considering there's duck, fish plus pork! I say that coz not all small-towns-restaurants charge it cheap, Muar's almost as expensive as Klang! In Klang where can get rm5/plate of vege? cheapest here is rm6 and most restaurants charge rm8!

WendyinKK April 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Alice,
Thanks for dropping by.
:)

Melody,
Yeah, it's really cheap. Sungai Siput is one of the cheapest places for dinner that I've ever come across. Cheap and good.
Segamat was cheap too, 5 years back I can still get RM2.50 (Kampar is already 3.50 or 4) Wat Dan Hor, but u pay peanuts get peanuts.

Big bOys Oven July 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

the food here looks good and affordable! now I know where to eat when I heading up north! :)

WendyinKK July 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM  

big boys oven,
Yeah, it's really cheap here.
Actually, I went there many times after that. I wanted to redeem my opinion about this restaurant, but too bad, all my pics taken with my phone were gone when my phone got stolen.

It's cheap and nice and the service's nt that bad already, cos maybe that time the workers were still new. Now even got one pretty sexy girl employed just to pour tea. When I say sexy, think little black dress.

Luciana August 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM  

The food looks very good....a kiss

Reanaclaire August 24, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

hey, not bad.. toilets look clean too. i m very skeptical of malaysian toilets..but this one looks pleasant enough..hahaa...

Talita January 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM  

Really good option to have a dinner! Those dishes look so tasty!

Simmy January 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM  

Before i always went there for dinner cause the restaurant just near at my house. But now i didn't go there anymore. cause the worker really so deaf, and food also bit slow. it bit hard to call the worker come to pour tea and add rice. The sexy girl now not at there already. don't know where she go already.. In my opinion, work at restaurant is not suitable to wear too sexy. tidy attire is most important. If the service is good, no need any sexy girl work there also will got many customer..

WendyinKK January 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

Oh, you used to frequent there too. After this post hoh, I went many times, cos my in laws love the food there. The service got better but always got mistakes. Either one missing dish, or wrong portions or whatever la. It was rarely a pleasant experience eating there.
The sexy Vivian ah, hahaha, I think she has her off days. Or she resigned ah? I think her boss purposely ask her to dress like that one, to make "biznesman" dine there more often ma. Thos ahpek that likes to look and look and get served by a pretty girl.

alvin July 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

that sexy girl 紫宁 is resigned 。i'm know many rumor of she,because i worked there before。lie,steal someone cell phone,cheated the man's money and clothes of clothing store.
Working Meal is better,but boss is really really very strict and favorite green colour(green is make me sick)....i think they can enhance waiter service and "awakening-work",push more seasonal and specially feature menu

WendyinKK July 16, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

Alvin,
Oh.... that was the story ah.
The variety of food there is better than Tai Chong.
Yaya, true, the boss seems to like green.

sm August 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM  

nice review
looks clean and neat

Jobless Girl October 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

Agree, seldom see such a clean toilet in restaurant. Thumb up for this restaurant.

Dmarie October 28, 2011 at 5:36 AM  

hey, thanks for taking me along on your restaurant visit...even to the restroom. what a hoot! can't wait to see more of your blog. thanks for sharing!

Hotly Spiced November 28, 2011 at 2:14 AM  

I like duck and I like it to be consistently crispy. Not sure that I could cope with unisex bathrooms with half naked men and unlockable doors. Sounds like a recipe for a law suit.

Christina Kim December 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM  

Wow, sounds like a really bad experience there..I hate BAD service :-(
I was about to say that the food was quite reasonably priced, until I read the full post about the service, what a bummer :(
You're definitely not demanding, I won't go back either!;)

Anonymous,  May 13, 2012 at 7:06 AM  

Brought mom to celebrate mother's day.
It was a Hugh mistake!
Food was so-so, over priced and very nasty service.
Never never go there again.

Post a Comment