Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

My favourite Apam Balik

>> Tuesday, January 12, 2010


My Favourite Apam Balik. Fillings almost squishing out.

Apam balik, is not a Malay snack, but I believe it has Chinese origins. I saw in some travels shows, this pancake is found in China too, and wheat does not grow in South East Asia. From where I came from it is called "Tai Gau Meen" literally translated as big face. Poor girls who have broad faces are mercilessly given this nickname. I learnt the hokkien word for it "Ban Cheng Ker" , dunno what it means, hahaha.It's Jementah's pronunciation, don't scold me if u find it wrong, as I know that northern southern and Klang hokkien sounds differently. My ex collegue, Pauline Tee, who laughed at me calling this snack big face argued with me it's called Ban Cheng Ker.. that's how I learnt the word.
                                                              

I used to work in Shah Alam seksyen 25, which explains why I'd come to this area to eat. Both Pauline and I often irrisistably buy this back for tea. The aroma of the pancake cooking on the brass plate is so so tempting. The generous amount of fragrantly roasted ground peanuts, sugar, margarine and creamed corn spread over the cooked pancake...One bite into it, and I'm in Heaven.......
The road where the shop is located


The shop where the pakcik gets a spot to make his Apam Balik. He sells cut fruits too. I don't know why but his guavas are pretty good. He can reallys select good fruits, and his Asam powder is pure good stuff.



The pancake batter does not smell of lye, and the texture is just nice, not chewy not thick. No other apam baliks is as generously filled as this Pakcik does it. No other roasts the peanuts as fragrant as his wife does it.  It's simply the best!!! No other word to describe it.

And it's only for RM1.80 per whole piece. (2008 price)
                                       
He operates here daily from lunch time to almost 6pm. During Friday prayers time, u won't see him, but his wife. Sometimes he doesn't look like this, cos he's wearing his white skull cap.
These pics were taken in 2008. I might be outdated by the time of this post. Took me so so long to post this :)

11 comments:

Tangled Noodle January 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

One of the best things about reading blogs is discovering new foods! This is the first I've heard of Apam Balik. I'm so used to reading about snacks that come from a vending machine - how nice it must be to enjoy one that is freshly made. This looks delicious!

WendyinKK January 15, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

Tangled Noodle,
Some call Apam Balik as Malaysian Peanut Pancake.

If u ever come to Malaysia, don't forget to try one. It's can be easily found as street food.

vien January 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

I call it tau kau meen too but the ones in Kampar don't have fillings?
Maybe nowadays they do.
Reading your blog reminds me of my birthtown.......

WendyinKK January 19, 2010 at 2:56 AM  

Vien,
All Kamparians call it Tai Kau Meen, even Ipoh folks call them the same.
Kampar ones have fillings, but not as much as this pakcik does it. And Kampar ones all smell strongly of lye.
In Kampar there is one Malay pakcik who does it crunchy style, with sweet corn. He sells near the bus station. The other Chinese Tau Kau Meen is as traditional as ever, no creamed corn.

Anonymous,  March 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

My partner and I visited Malaysia at Xmas time and im missing the food! it was amazing. can't wait to go back!

pc August 20, 2010 at 1:57 AM  

Jementah? are you from there? i miss Apam balik. s'pore is lousy:p.

love to read your blogs, here and there. very inspiring. really hope i can bake and cook as good as you one day.

btw, about Ipoh food... could it be possible you attach a map when you introduce the restaurant:D... pardan me if im being too much.

at least once in a year we will pass by ipoh for cari makan:).

wish a you a great weekend!

WendyinKK August 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

PC,
No, I'm not from Jementah. It's my colleague.
I'm from Perak.

Aiyor, how to attach map to Ipoh's eating spots? I really dunno how to derive that. Maybe you can google for the map or use GPS. All that I've blogged about are listed in Garmin.

Yanti Xiao October 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM  

Hi wendy, these really looks like our "Martabak" in Indonesia.
Never thinking that Malaysia have one too :)

Yanti Xiao October 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

Hi wendy, these really looks like our Indonesia "martabak". Never thinking malaysia have one too :)

May y,  February 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM  

I wish you have a recipe for apam balik. My fav too!

WendyinKK March 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM  

May,
I wish I have one too.
I've been experimenting to find something similiar like this pakcik, but then to no avail.
Eat my failures until "jelak" oredi.

Post a Comment